Friday, July 23, 2010

Research - Fury

I now understand more fully the amount of research that will be needed for "Fury". It's probably good anyway as it means that I can actively think about the project, but not write. Seeing that I am still writing another play and all. I like to finish one before I start another one - short plays excepted.

I have heard some very sad stories since I started this topic, re bullying and the cyber world. God knows there is a lot of information online. I am hoping to talk to some teens about it, and also some people actually involved in the aftermath. It all hinges on how comfortable people feel about talking to me.

Anyway, the topic of this post was Research, this is not something that I ordinarily do a lot of for my plays - mainly because I don't usually base my plays solidly around a factual phenomena (like cyber bullying). My plays have, in the past, been to do with fictional accounts around relationships. I think Fury will be that too, but it needs a sound basis in reality and also I need a bit of statistical evidence before I go grandly making some bold statements regarding who and why and how.

Other playwrights that I know, successful one's - wot make a living from it, spend a lot of time on research. This is because often they have been commissioned to write about "sumfing" and that thing has to be looked into, Or they are writing about "sumwun" and that person has a real life. I guess that part of the journey of Fury for me, is learning to take a real issue and think about how to theatrically present that without too many gimmicks and also without too much sentimentality. I am not one for sentimentality.

The other day the opening of the play popped into my head, so even though I'm not officially writing the play yet, it has begun to write itself, which usually happens with good ideas.

Before Rhonda I never shown a partial draft of anything to anyone. I have now overcome my superstitious fears and hope that I will be able to apply the same sort of development to Fury that I did to Rhonda.

1 comment:

  1. Awesomeness, BB. I hope that day that someone commissions you to write a play about sumfink or sumwun is nigh :)

    ReplyDelete