Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fury

I am starting a new play concept.

"Already?!", they cry!

"Yes indeed", I coyly reply.

Not one to sit on my laurels, not I! What are laurels? Where are they? On my bottom I suppose.

I am very interested in Greek Chorus at the moment. I like the facelessness of chorus and have always loved the beautiful, interesting and powerful things that groups of people can do. Bodies and voices can be very confronting. So my next play idea is working with chorus, the internet, bullying and of course....death.

My concepts of chorus were developed and fostered by Dr Michael Cathcart, the amiable and talented historian cum director cum comedian cum friend. It is a lovely synchronicity to me that Hannie Rayson, his equally talented and extraordinary wife is a writing mentor of mine (and also a writing idol). What a couple.

Anyhoo, it was Michael that really showed me how voice and body can be used on stage to create entire worlds and soundscapes. It is his ideas that are rattling in my skull now and making me think about the ways that five women could be used on stage to make virtual societies and environments come to life.

Five women. You heard me. I have long said that I write thinking about women, and good roles for women. Well, this play will put my money (if I had any) where my mouth is. More news to come.

Working title "Fury". 

1 comment:

  1. YES!!! Hooray for you. Hooray for female writers in general and hooray for more awesome female characters in plays. You rock, Burton.

    ReplyDelete